Gurdwara Data Bandi Chhod, Gwalior

Gurdwara Name Gurdwara Data Bandi Chhod Address Fort Gwalior, Gwalior
Zipcode Phone 91 751 2480040, 2480776
Fax Contact Email gwaliorkarsewa@yahoo.com
Sarai Available yes Sarai Contact Information Davinder Singh / Baba Lakha Singh 91 9425776950
Sarai facilities
Sarai Room Count 300
Website URL
History Gwalior has a historical fort built atop a hill overlooking the town below. Mughal rulers used this fort as a prison for chiefs and nobles of status . Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib ji was detained in the Fort of Gwalior by the order of Emperor Jahangir as fanatical Muslim officers under the influence of Naqshbandi cult, were alarmed by the Guruji's new policy of militarization. He was summoned to Delhi and was asked to pay a fine of rupees two lakhs which had been imposed on his father and which the latter had refused to pay. According to Sikh chronicles, the detention was for a period of 40 days or two months. The latter period seems more likely . The persuasive efforts of Bhai Jetha at Jahangir's court and may be the exercise of influence with the Emperor by the Muslim saint Hairat Mian Mir, a friend of Guru Arjun Dev ji , brought an early end to his detention. When they heard of his release, they looked up to him for succour. Guru Hargobind ji refused to be released unless other internees were also let out. The emperor agreed to release as many of them as could come out holding the fringe of the Guru's rule. Guruji, narrate the chroniclers, had a long robe made with many strings attached to it which enabled all the 52 captives to come out of the fort with him. This earned Guruji the epithet Data Bandi Chhor,the munificent liberator. Chroniclers differ about the dates and duration of the Guruji's detention. But it appears that it was only for a few months sometime between 1617 and 1619. A shrine bearing the name was established inside the fort. It was looked after by Muslim priests until the Sikhs acquired possession and established a Gurdwara after the Independence in 1947. The original shrine in the form of a marbled platform is still maintained near the entrance to Gurdwara Data Bandi Chhor Patshahi 6 Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji, as it is now named. The present building complex spread over six acres was constructed under the supervision of Sant Jhanda Singh and Utam Singh Mauni of Khadur Sahib during the 1970s and 1980s. The principal building is a six-storey edifice near the old shrine.
Remarks Inside of Gurdwara is very attractive with gold plated doors and "Palki Sahib". Gwalior is 120 kms from Agra.
Comments:

Images

Gwalior_gurdwara

2

Gwalior_gurdwara_1