Gurdwara Sangat Sahib Bhai Pheru, Mien ki Maur

Gurdwara Name Gurdwara Sangat Sahib Bhai Pheru Address Chuniari tehsil, Lahore district
Zipcode Phone
Fax Contact Email
Sarai Available unknown Sarai Contact Information
Sarai facilities
Sarai Room Count
Website URL
History BHAI PHERU, GURDWARA (also called Gurdwara Sangat Sahib), named after its founder, the well known Udasi Sikh preacher Bhai Pherii (1640-1706), is located at Mien ki Maur, in Chuniari tahsil of Lahore district in Pakistan. During Sikh times, large endowments in land extending to about 2,750 acres were inscribed to the shrine which was administered by a line of priests belonging to Sangat Sahib Ke sect of Udasi Sikhs. As a campaign for bringing the Sikh places of worship under the management of a central body, the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, formed in 1920, negotiations were opened with the mahant or custodian for the transfer of the Bhai Pheru Gurdwara and the landed property attached to it. The Mahant, Kishan Das, agreed in consideration of a monthly pension of Rs 400 and free rations for life. The Shiromani Committee took possession of the Gurdwara on 28 December 1922. But later the Mahant, repudiating the agreement, filed with the police a complaint of trespass against the manager, Jagat Singh, and other staff appointed by the Shiromani Committee. The police, on 7 December 1923, arrested Jagat Singh and ten other Sikhs. Thirty-four more arrests were made on 2 January 1924. This led the Shiromani Committee to launch a morcha. Bands of Akali volunteers started courting arrest daily from 5 January 1924 onwards. The morcha was pledged to nonviolence and every day volunteers offered themselves for arrest. This went on for a period of 21 months. On 20 September 1925 there occurred an incident of violence at which the Shiromani Committee called off the agitation. On 9 July 1925 the Punjab Government adopted the Sikh Gurdwaras Act providing for the transfer of control of Sikh shrines and their properties to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, but the matter of the Bhai Pheru Gurdwara and its properties was then before a court of law. The case was ultimately decided in favour of the reformers on 19 June 1931 enabling the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee to take over possession of the shrine, and the lands. The Gurdwara was abandoned at the time of mass migrations in the wake of the partition of the Punjab in 1947. Since then it is supposed to be maintained by the Pakistan Waqf Board.
Remarks
Comments:

Images